Thursday, May 25, 2006

When the third string broke

No objects moved for a few seconds, no birds chirped, waves stopped at the crests and the troughs became empty, clocks did not tick, the alarm which was ringing to wake me up paused for a few seconds, when I saw this tragedy unfold in front of my eyes. Plethora became empty and plenty became void.

The third string in my guitar broke today morning at 6:02 AM IST. Beleive it or not,it was not easy to see it happen.It was almost a week since I played my guitar, so I thought I have to do some practice today. Deciding against going to gym, I sat for my guitar practice session when I saw this tiny string break into shreds in front of my eyes.

There are a total of 6 strings(E,B,G,D,A,E) christened from first string(thinnest) to the sixth string(thickest).Today the third string that broke corresponds to the open G string. It’s literally not possible to play the instrument when any string gets broken. Generally playing a song involves strumming all the strings and hence the abscission of one string makes the whole instrument look null. See that's the specialty here. They all stand together and if one gets hurt, everybody waits till he returns from the hospital after getting the necessary treatment. The doctor here is guitar master and the patient is my guitar. How much shame should I carry on my shoulder? I don't know how to change the strings when it breaks? I can't tune my guitar on my own? Well they say it takes some time before you get to start doing this. Its been 3 months with my guitar and am still on a learning phase.

Once some 2 months back, I broke the first string and got it replaced. Now its the third string. Analyzing my progress in the past 3 months, its like this. I have learned to play 4 songs (3 Hindi and 1 Tamil) fully, am in the process of completing the first tutorial book (hopefully within this Sunday so that I can jump on to the second book), am learning chords (well this has been my toughest area. Am struggling to play this chord stuff. My fingers get hurt and hence I practice less.)Actually it should be the opposite, the more the fingers get hurt, the more it helps one to learn it better. The time given to me is June13 by which date I have to play the 16 chords given to me with absolute perfection. Well am determined to complete that in style.

There is a sincere desire to play it well, to rock with the guitar, to play it amazingly, to join a rock band sometime in the future. There is an overbearing urge to learn it fast and prove it in front of my master. He said no body has ever crossed the second book (there are 4 books altogether) and am eagled to cross that barrier. Being tigerishly competitive and ravenous for success is good at every stage and for every thing in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home